Friday, October 8, 2010

I had the best private party!

I have not served a party in one of our function rooms for a while (I feel like I am usually in the pub or closing the restaurant), but last night, I had a party of thirty-two people. Let me just pause to say that my general manager did not realize that they would need steak knives and we sure as hell did not have thirty-two! and then he proceeded, (after I brought this to his attention) to stand there confounded as to what to do, so I told his ass to to send someone to the hardware store. I tell you, this place wants to be all fine dining and shit and they are so unorganized and always low on things which makes trying to give our customers good service difficult. Anyway, I was curious as to whether my party would be drinkers or not, so I asked who they were. Vietnam Vets! they were coming from all over the country to have a reunion. One waitress told me to make more coffee and when all the seniors walked in, the bartender thought I wouldn't be getting drinks out of them. I thought they would drink though, I mean c'mon, it was a reunion! Every single one of them drank, including most of their wives. Wine, cosmos, martinis, beer...and they were the sweetest people. Buffets are generally very easy which is why only one of us takes the whole party. But, tonight there was another party in the other room so we had limited plates and stuff like that. Because of this shortage, my ass was running around like crazy all night. I realized shortly my mistake of clearing away plates and silverware because they would need more. Usually with parties, we do this, and there are more! I am very particular about things, so it was hard for me to accept the fact that silverware would have to be used for bread and then again for main courses. Usually I would take everything away and there would be brand new ones when they went up to serve themselves again. So making sure the buffet table was all set, getting tables water and drinks and taking away empty plates became difficult at one point. One lady observed that I was the only one taking care of them and told me she thought I was doing a great job, which was sweet. My manager bought them some platters and told me to thank them for serving our country (which I told my boss I wasn't sure if I could say seriously, I was half kidding, but c'mon, I had hippie parents and we were far from patriotic so even though I am a proud American, stuff like is weird for me to say with a straight face) But I did! Many of them came up to me personally to thank me and one of them told me it was the best experience they have had in Boston. So all and all, the hardwork was worth it! It is always a joy to serve people that are happy and appreciative. There is nothing like working a party that is miserable or rude because it puts you in a bad mood. I love reunions, baby showers, birthdays and wedding parties because everyone is always happy and everyone is always drinking!

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, that's pretty cool. Those are the best kind of reunions, I think, because so much time and distance has separated those guys-- I bet that they haven't felt so good in such a long time. I hope they tipped you well!
    Also, one thing I've heard about Vietnam Vets (generalizing here) is that they haven't been thanked for their service, not as loudly nor as often as current vets and ww II vets. I remember walking into an office and this one guy just came up shook my hand and thanked me-- then he told me that he's only had 5 people tell him that...with 30+ years of time. Thats pretty unbelievable to me, so I'm glad that you did thank them-- I bet you gave them a pride in their service more precious than you know. Pretty cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting story, The Sign of the whale in DC will help you to plan your party or event in Washington, DC. We will also organize events for your celebration of the wedding, corporate event, or any special party in Washington, DC.

    ReplyDelete